Wednesday, April 29, 2009
As of this morning there have been no reported cases of swine flu in Playa del Carmen or in the larger area of Quintana Roo, the state in which Playa del Carmen, Cancun and Tulum reside. In fact, to our knowledge, there have been no reported cases of swine flu in the entire Yucatan peninsula, comprising the eastern portion of the country of Mexico. This somewhat contradicts the statement of a so-called medical expert on MSNBC TV last night who proclaimed with wild eyes that the virus had “spread through the entire country of Mexico.”
Playa del Carmen itself is calm, except for the kids who seem to be everywhere today. Mexico in its wisdom has closed all of the schools nationwide until next Wednesday. As a result, the kids have a holiday and are making the best use of it. Kinda like snow days we remember from our own childhood.
There are no other closings or restrictions to our knowledge. Stores and restaurants, clubs, churches and tours, business offices and governmental buildings are all open for business. The main concern is how the economy will react to the sudden drop in tourism, since so many people earn their living from that industry.
Our daughter Brittany will be graduating from college on May 8th. Darla and I had tickets to fly up on the 5th but with so few planes coming in we were concerned they may cancel our flight so we are now planing to drive out. It is about a 34 hour drive to border from here. We are planing to leave out on Friday. Please keep us in your prayers as we travel. We hope to be back here at work in Mexico on the 15th.
We are proud of Brittany and we are looking forward to celebrating with her...
Please pray for our church members and the people of Playa Del Carmen. Many are losing homes and all are facing difficult time financially .
Tuesday, April 28, 2009
Friday, April 24, 2009
In 1 Samuel 17 we read this well known story of how David overcame Goliath as a result of his faith in God. As I thing about this story the giant was not the problem for the children of Israel it was their lack of faith and their fear.
We have taken on a giant out in the small Mayan village of Chan Chen. The giant we are facing is poverty. The people in this village need salvation in Christ but all they can see is this giant named poverty. If God could help David kill Goliath He can help us overcome this giant problem.
How do you fight a giant?
1. David had a heart for God that caused him to seek the Lord.
2. David had a zeal, and deep passion for the honor of God’s people.
3. Him had confidence in the Lord’s power as he remembered past victories.
4. David trusted not in himself but in God’s power
5. David was himself he did not try to be something he was not.
6. David found five smooth stones.
7. He took action. David through God’s power killed the giant.
We are at stage #6 in our battle preparation in Chan Chen we are looking for five smooth stones or should I say five slick ideas to attack poverty.
Here are the stones we have already found.
1. The hotel and training center for tourism. If you have been reading this blog you have already heard a lot about this plan. You can read more about the idea at www.chanchen.org
2. Open a gift shop so the locals can market everything from locally produced honey and handcrafts to t-shirts.
3. Help the local schools by developing school to school partnerships with colleges and Universities in the States.
4. Starting a Celebrate Recovery program in the village. Alcoholism is one of the things that has lead to a lot of the poverty in the area.
5. YOU- we need you to pray and give. I know you are already doing a lot in your area and in your church and it is true that you can’t do it all but we can all do something. You can send checks to:
Global Community Fellowship, 1904 Red Bud Cir., Greenville NC 27858.
100% of the money will go to the ministry here in Mexico.
I have faith that we through the power of God will overcome this giant in Chan Chen. We you face the giants with us…. People are in need and all we lack is faith in the power of our living God. Help us show the people of Chan Chen how much God loves them.
Your friend in Mexico,
Wednesday, April 22, 2009
Monday, April 20, 2009
Monday, April 13, 2009
Wednesday, April 8, 2009
Tuesday, April 7, 2009
It was an overwhelming weekend because we also saw the beginning of a breakthrough in Chan Chen... as the young leader of the village also stepped out in faith and followed the Lord in believers baptism. He is our man of peace in this small village.. Rodolfo is the first baptized believer in the history of his village. Pray as I work with him that he will lead many others to faith in Christ. It is not going to be easy for him.
Friday, April 3, 2009
As we praise God for the water from the well, Rodolfo God's man of peace in the village said the he would like to be Baptized this weekend... This is a Gaint step of faith for him and all of us that know the story are praising God.
Mission team from New Bern, NC paint a house in
Chan Chan in 100 degree weather.... God is using this team in a great way.